Connecting Pregnancy Care
Connecting Pregnancy is an innovative program that combines medical care and prenatal education in a group setting. Health check-ups are combined with education and support from other members of the group. It’s “one-stop shopping” for your prenatal health care and learning.
Here health visits are interesting and fun and a place to get to know other expectant families. It is deal for first-time parents and people new to Vancouver or without a network of friends having babies. How Connecting works:
- You are invited to join a group of 10-12 women with a similar due month to yours, starting around 18-20 weeks of pregnancy, continuing until the early newborn period, with a final reunion at 6 weeks after the babies are born.
- Connecting Pregnancy group meetings last 2 hours and are occur from 6-8pm to accommodate parents with daytime work commitments. Initially we meet once a month, and later in the pregnancy every 2 weeks.
- The group is guided by an FPMS doctor and a childbirth educator, who will remain with that group for the whole series. At every meeting, there is some private time with the doctor for a check-up (“belly check”).
- Together with the other group members, you discuss topics related to pregnancy, birth, parenting, and personal growth. These include diet and exercise, the birthing process, comfort measures for labour, what to expect in the hospital, pain management options, breastfeeding, and newborn care.
- Expectant parents get to know each other and form a support network who often stay connected for months or years afterwards. Your partner or support-person is welcome to attend and will find support for their experience as well.
- In some Connecting groups a Family Practice resident doctor will assist the doctor. They are senior doctors nearing the end of their training and are enthusiastic to learn about maternity care in a group setting. Their presence is a great addition to the team.
- The fee for this program is $250, similar to most prenatal classes. If you would like to participate in Connecting Pregnancy, but are experiencing financial need, please speak with your FPMS doctor.
To register contact firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 604-875-3436