Connecting Pregnancy Care
- Connecting Pregnancy is an innovative program that combines medical care and prenatal education in a group setting. It combines the health checks with education, to empower women to take care of themselves, and to encourage women to learn from each other. It’s “one-stop shopping” for your prenatal care and learning.
- You will be invited to join a group of 10-12 women with a similar due month to yours, starting around 18-20 weeks of pregnancy.
- Connecting group meetings last 2 hours and are organized in the early evening, to accommodate parents with daytime work commitments.
- The group is guided by an FPMS doctor and a childbirth educator, who will remain with that group for the whole series of meetings. At every meeting, there is some private time with the doctor for a check-up (“belly check”).
- Together with the other group members, you discuss topics related to pregnancy, birth, parenting, and personal growth. These include prenatal nutrition, the birthing process, comfort measures for labour, what to expect in the hospital, pain management options, breastfeeding, and newborn care.
- Expectant parents get to know each other and form a support network that often stays connected after the babies all arrive. Your partner or support person is welcome to attend.
- The fee for this program is $250, similar to most prenatal classes. If you would like to participate in Connecting Pregnancy, but are experiencing financial need, please speak with our program assistant or your FPMS doctor.