The Family Practice Maternity Service (FPMS) is a group of dedicated family doctors who are passionate about providing maternity care. Our patients receive personalized, high quality care due to our many years of experience and our commitment to excellence. We believe in teamwork, both with each other and with our patients. Our shared philosophy and practice ensure seamless, consistent care. We attend births at BC Women’s Hospital.
We provide care during:
- The hospital stay after the birth for mum and baby
- The period up to 6 weeks after the birth
- We provide maternity care and support for women who have had a previous C-section (Caesarean section). We support your choice for a Vaginal Birth after Caesarean (VBAC) or repeat C-section, and we will provide you with decision-making tools to help you choose.
- We make referrals to specialists when needed.
- We coordinate care from all members of the team which might include dietician, doula, psychiatrist, and obstetrician.
- We teach Medical Students and Family Practice Residents. More Information »
- We assist the transition back to the community family doctor.
- If a woman does not have a family doctor, we help her find one.